Quote

If I get it all down on paper, it's no longerInside of me threatening the life it belongs to
And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd'Cause these words are my diary, screaming out loudAnd I know that you'll use them however you want to~ Anna Nalick

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Young Inspiration


At four years old, my son started Taekwondo in the Tiny Lions program.  At that time it was the first extra curricular activity he was involved in.  Fast forward four years and he's in the top black belt program going to the DoJang up to four times a week as a deputy black belt.  The time finally arrived to test for that grand prize at this level: the first dan black belt.

Aside from the financial impact the test had on us $$$$$ (which I've told some of you about), this was the real deal.  He had to write an essay, draw a picture of the Korean flag, submit copies of his report cards, get a letter of recommendation, put in 60 volunteer hours at the DoJang, memorize the form of every belt before his, and know the Korean names of them when he's called upon to do them.

On the big day we arrived about an hour early, but it was more like almost two hours early because if you know Korean time, they are always running late :).  Joey went to stretch with his classmates which were both adults and children.  There was a woman there around my age that was also testing and she had a broken arm.  A BROKEN ARM!  They had to do push-ups and spar!  Anyway, the very first thing the black belt testers had to do when they were ready for them was run ten laps in the parking lot.  In the snow.  Shoes, no coat.  It was snowing and cold that day.  Ten laps were big, I'd say total it was between 1.5 and 1.75 miles.  My kid made it the whole time.  He did all ten.  I say that because some of the adults and kids alike didn't make it.  I puffed up pretty proud right then.  Next were some push ups, sit ups, kicking drills, hand technique drills, combination technique drills....  I was told the point was to get them so tired before the test really even began so that their whole being is tested.  Think about what I've told you so far.  To even be allowed the opportunity to test he had to complete everything I listed in the paragraph above.  Then on testing day, your physical, mental and spiritual limitations are put to the test again.  I think this is a good thing.  I believe my son was taught that earning your black belt is just that.  You HAVE to earn it.  With everything - and I love that it wasn't just based on physical ability.

The test began with forms.  Grand Master shouted out forms, same and different to  everyone testing.  The testers would perform their form while two other students did their best to distract them.  They danced around them and told them jokes and told them they were doing it wrong.  He nailed that no problem.  Next was board breaking which almost gave me heart attack #1 because you only get 3 attempts.  Period.  And the board holders were from a different school and kept holding them differently than Joey was used to.  Thankfully, he passed that as well.  Barely, but it's still a pass!  Then it was time to spar.  2 on 1 again, Joey being pinned to the ground, never having wrestled and he was down there for so long.  Everyone (including me in my jeans and heels!) was on the ground cheering for him.  It seemed like an eternity and it was killing me because I could see the angst in his face.  It was my least favorite part of the day.  My baby was pressed against the ground unable to get up.  Again though - this kid did NOT give up.  Next he had to spar one on one which was fine.  Then it was how many push-ups can you do in a minute and how many sit-ups can you do in a minute.  Poor kid was so wiped out.  He actually has a decent push-up, unlike most kids his age who just 'airhump'.

Everyone was individually evaluated.  Some were asked questions.  The whole thing just went on forever before the kids were asked to turn around while the judges conferred.  Finally the announcement was made and his black belt was presented!  We arrived that day at 11am.  Testing started at almost 1 and we didn't leave Algonquin until 4pm.  Grueling.  But he earned it.  Without a doubt.  I am so proud of him.  Even though I did have a sad moment when I realized he no longer likes to be hugged by his mom in public...  Oh well, I knew it would come one day.  We left there and went straight to Culver's where my little boy ordered two crispy chicken sandwiches :)

So what's the point besides the obvious bragging about my kid?  Honestly if it was me I'm not sure I could have done it.  Maybe.  But I'd have griped a lot more.  My kid has always been the intellectual type.  He's so tolerant, especially of his sister.  He's so sweet and obedient.  Let's face it - he's not what people see as the typical face of the black belt.  But what is most important is what he put out there for everyone to judge that day.  And he earned the title he received.  A lot of things aren't what we expect them to be based on looking at them.  I've already told you that you can surprise even yourself.  You might not look the part, you might not even think you can play the part.  But with enough hard work and at least one cheerleader - even if that cheerleader is yourself - you can accomplish amazing things.  I asked Joey if that was as hard as he expected.  He said it was twice as hard.  I asked him if it was the hardest thing he's ever had to do.  He said, "Yes."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I leave you with a post from a friend of mine, a fellow blogger who also happens to be an editor.  She wrote about something that I know some close friends of mine can relate to, and she's brave for doing it.  I can't write about these kinds of things anymore....yet.  But in this case I don't need to because almost every thing she wrote could have come from my fingers.

So you gotta hang on  
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
~ Annie

1 comment: