Quote

If I get it all down on paper, it's no longerInside of me threatening the life it belongs to
And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd'Cause these words are my diary, screaming out loudAnd I know that you'll use them however you want to~ Anna Nalick

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Telling the Children

I'm going to talk about a thing without making it a thing, because that's really not my thing.

A thing has happened and people are asking how they are going to talk to their kids about it.  Other people are saying that's a dumb question.  I hope the second set of people take a moment and speak humbly if and when their child asks them a question.

Kids listen to more than you think.  They hear words and interpret them in their minds.  Because of some of these things that they've heard and interpreted, they may think that some of their friends are going to be sent away.  They may have questions about the stability of their family structure, should it happen to not be 'traditional'.  Again, they are asking these questions because of things that were actually said.

Children are so important and my own children mean more to me than anything describable.  It's hard as a parent to see your children have to ask difficult and confusing questions and it makes me sad to know there is worry in their hearts.

However you decide to answer these questions, make sure they are guided with love and kindness and logic.  Even if things seem chaotic and unfair, it is survivable.  Life is full of moments that are chaotic and unfair, on different scales at different times.  This can be an opportunity to nurture, to comfort, and to educate with a foundation of compassion and respect.  Remember that they will encounter, just as you have, moments throughout their lives that are shockingly disturbing and that make no sense.  So make sure you give them the strength and knowledge to help those that need help, have a strong moral and respectful core, and to do so with kindness.  This will help them make good decisions, be a strong support system for their friends, peers, and loved ones, and it will help them endure hard times and advocate for better ones.  

I take comfort in knowing I'm either too naive to notice the hatred in the people close to me, or more likely, I've purged the hatred (see post) and have successfully surrounded myself with people that promote and demonstrate love and acceptance.  There is no room for hate and it is counter-productive and ineffective and a waste of energy and emotion.  Unless you have walked in someone else's shoes you can have NO idea what it feels like to experience something they may have. 

And on that note I leave you with three thoughts:

  • I still love and respect this country and I am very proud to be an American despite the unsettled feeling in my gut.
  • Just because you are a Christian does not mean you have to be a Republican.  Seriously this drives me crazy.  Think independently.
  • Eat that turkey, all night long.  Fifty million Elvis fans can't be wrong.  Yes, it's that time of year.  FOOD!  :)
Human as to human
The future is no place
To place your better days
~ djm

4 comments:

  1. Very much agreed. I had the new experience of being the parent to a new voter. I asked if she was scared\unsettled today, which she was. I told her that things will very likely be okay. The hate exists and is in the open more now, but I think (hope) those people that voted on hate will be dissapointed in the end. There is no sense jumping to conclusions. That said, I do hate political parties, is that the same thing? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not the same and I don't think you hate them, you just wish they were better. Kind of like the real parties you get invited to :)

      Delete
  2. Very well thought out Sinae. I have been stressing so hard about what to tell my boys. How do I explain to them not only what happened yesterday, but how do I prepare them for the world we now seem to live in? I am very frightened for the future of free speech in this country in a government with no checks and balances. While I do not want to live in a world of fear, I wonder if I don't prepare my kids for it , am I failing them as a father?

    To be a Christian , a real Christian, means to convey the values of Jesus. Unfortunately the great majority of Christians in this country just elected the most immoral man in the history of American politics. In my mind they are no longer the moral majority as I fear that elections have just turned into team sports, just cheer leading for your team. This is nt a Packers Vs Bears game folks, its our kids future. I can only hope and pray that people actually look deeper inside when voting in the future.

    I truly feel lost , more so than ever before as an adult.

    Stay cool, and try and be a glass is always half full person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. The design of checks and balances has been compromised. This group...I feel nothing, no good feelings from them. Just "Ha! We're taking over!" That's the best I can describe it.

      But there are many of us that are better than that and we will continue to be better than that and above the negativity. You're a great leader in your family. I lead mine with love as well. And our kids see us first. And I have to believe those are the actions that will prevail and be instilled in them. I will raise successfully kind humans. And so will you.

      Thanks again.

      Delete